1) Scripture: Mark 11:1-11 (Behold the supremacy of Jesus.)
· Luke 19 says that while this was taking place the false religious leaders became upset at the worship of JESUS. vv. 39-40 And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples. And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.
· What manner of man isthis whom all creation would worship? ONLY GOD IS TO BE WORSHIPPED. Luke 20: 3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.....v.5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, (That is why the Pharisees got upset. You can only rightly worship God.)
2.) Scripture: Mark 14:10-25 (Behold the knowledge of Jesus.)
· The traitor Judas is known although he tries to keep his work secret.
· Jesus knows that he will have his body broken and bleeding for the sins of the world.
· Jesus knows when it will take place. But, he continues towards the cross.
HE WAS BORN TO DIE.
1) 1,000 years before the cross it was prophesied. Ps 22:16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
2) The angel spoke of his death before his birth as he called him the Savior. Mt 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. Lu 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
3.) Scripture: Mark 14:32-41
(Behold the way is JESUS.)
· Jesus proves here to all mankind that there is no other way of salvation. God could answer the prayer of Jesus in no other way than the cross. "If it be possible - BUT IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE TO DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN SACRIFICE THE SON OF GOD FOR THE SINS OF THE WORLD.
· The cross would not have happened if good people go to Heaven. Ro 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
· The cross would not have happened if there is no @#!*% . Re 20:14-15 And death and @#!*% were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
· Because sin must be punished with death. Jesus had to die. Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
4.) Scripture: Mark 14:42-50
(Behold the willing surrender of JESUS.)
· He could have asked for angelic deliverance but it was refused.
Mt 26:53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions (7,000) of angels?
· 650 years earlier Isaiah had written of this moment in Jesus life. Isa 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
5.) Scripture: Mark 14:53-65
(Behold the injustice to JESUS.)
· He is lied about by obvious false witnesses.
· He is spitten on, mocked, blind folded and beaten.
ill. Think about the person you love most in this world, being given a trial like this. We've heard this story so many times that our hearts are cold and indifferent to what Jesus endured for us.
6.) Scripture: Mark 15
(Behold the sacrifice of Jesus.)
(That was our most lengthy reading and yet it only took a fraction of the time in comparison with the crucifixion.)
ill. Barrabus should have been on trial. Barrabus should have been beaten and condemned. But, Barrabus was freed and Jesus was dying in his place on his cross.
app. We are seeing this morning what Jesus did IN OUR PLACE. We deserve to die for our sin BUT JESUS HAD NEVER DONE ANYTHING AGAINST GOD'S LAW.
7.) Scripture: Mark 16:1-8
(Behold the EVERLASTING LIFE OF JESUS.)
ill. The Apostle Paul said in 1Co 15:14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
· Not only would we have no Easter today if Jesus had not risen. We would have no church and we would not have everlasting life in Christ.
note: Every other religion has a grave with bones in it. We have an empty tomb because Jesus Christ lives and because he lives we can live.
Joh 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
8.) Scripture: Mark 16:9-14
(Behold the unbelief towards JESUS.)
exp. Jesus died and arose from the dead and no one could believe it. They were skeptics like you and like me. They wanted proof and God graciously provided it. Do you want proof this morning?
ill. A court of law will take two credible witnesses. If they have 3 all the better. 12 becomes undeniable. But, if a group of 500 hundred sane people give clear evidence - the matter is water tight and can not be refuted through out the ages.
I Corinthians 15: 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
app. Our world has slandered the resurrection of Jesus claiming that he didn't die or someone took the cross in His place - but all rational people know that we have a credible account of an incredible event. IT'S IMPORTANT - WHY? BECAUSE YOU CAN'T BE SAVED FROM @#!*% WITHOUT BELIEVING IT AND RECEIVING IT. Ro 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
9.) Scripture: Mark 16:14-20
(Behold the message of JESUS.)
exp. The disciples did this and took the message to the world.
· They cast out demons.
· They spoke with other tongues.
· Paul was healed of a serpents bite.
· The sick were healed.
app. We've just read what Jesus did for us? He died naked as a thief. He was unashamed and did it for you and me? Will you help tell others of his death for their life? We will give an account someday to Him for what we do with His message. He came and He is coming again.